About Me

My photo
München, Bayern, Germany
I love all things motorsports and racing. I have an unhealthy addiction to modifying anything mechanical. Brakes and Suspension are my forte and I love driving fast in slow cars. I am in love with math, physics and knowing how things work. But if there's anything I've learned since being here, it's that experiencing a multitude of other cultures, traveling, and seeing tangible history will enrich ones life in ways no book can offer.

Friday 22 July 2011

The real countdown begins...

Monday I was able to single handedly track and obtain the part held at a DHL warehouse not far from München; we've been waiting for this part since early last week. I delivered it as needed and helped out (hands on) with the removal of some parts, and helped with the preperation of the car till late Tuesday. Monday I also had coffee with an important contact and friend of the IEP. He gave me excellent advice regarding application for Masters studies and some people to talk to to gain some insight into their experience. We also talked a lot about travels and how fascinating it is to see actual tangible history; something a lot of the U.S. lacks. He made a couple great recommendations of places to see in Italy. I probably won't have very much Gleitzeit to use for small excursions to other countries, before my time is up. But I will definitely make good on those recommendations when I return to Europe.

Yesterday I discovered something new. Based on personal experience, and having come from the United States, I have to say, it is IMPOSSIBLE to drive a right hand drive vehicle without a big smile on your face. I learned how to drive on a standard over 11 years ago (yup, i'm that old) and while I didn't stall, I got the same sensation of having to concentrate on everything I was doing with regards to shifting. The first time I wanted to shift, my right hand went straight into the door...and immediately remembered the shifter is on the left now. I knew the shift pattern was identical, because the transmission configuration is not dependant on which side the steering wheel is on. But in such a short time, I was not able to break the instinct of wanting to mirror the motion of normal shifting, since using left hand. Either way, I took it easy, and while I had to concentrate on what I was doing, the ear to ear smile on my face made it appear as though I just won the lottery.

Another student collegue and I had an appointement at TU Munich. We asked general questions about the masters program and what would be required for enrollment. We were advised to take it up with the Faculty for Mechanical Engineering to see if our Bachelors is adiquate as prerequisite to Masters Studies. I am also looking at other schools, particularly in Aachen because they have excellent research programs. While it is difficult to say which type of university would be better, I feel based on my past experience I fall more into a practical application of study than a lot of theory. I always worked with my hands, and liked to figure things out on something tangable. It's a lot to take into consideration, and I have been asking anyone and everyone, their opinions on the matter. This is also only possible if I qualify for some financial aid. But it's better to plan 6 months ahead, than to be lost at the starting line.

Everyone is posting about how little time they have left. Because I started my internship a month later, I'm here till September 2. Just DAYS before the new semester starts back at URI. I have mixed emotions about this deadline. It would be nice to go back and see my girlfriend and friends, work on my car, visit family...but I can't even begin to fathom the reverse culture shock. I am so comfortable here in Germany, everything falls into order, everything works that needs to. I am entering one of the hardest semesters in my academic career, taking on more course-credits than I have ever had in one semester. Normally I take summer classes to ease the workload during semesters since I had a daily commute to and from University which takes 3 hours. It's going to be very challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment