About Me

My photo
München, Bayern, Germany
I love all things motorsports and racing. I have an unhealthy addiction to modifying anything mechanical. Brakes and Suspension are my forte and I love driving fast in slow cars. I am in love with math, physics and knowing how things work. But if there's anything I've learned since being here, it's that experiencing a multitude of other cultures, traveling, and seeing tangible history will enrich ones life in ways no book can offer.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Farewell BMW; what a fantastic experience

Today was the last day of my Praktikum. I used the remaining 7 hours of Gleitzeit to take tomorrow off. I got another send-off gift of Weißwurscht in a can and a tube of Süße Senf (sweet mustard) to go with it! I made my rounds saying goodbye to those who were in the office, and in all the workshops. I wrote e-mails to those who were underway with test drives and vacations. The IEP contact and good friend had invited me for a last round of coffee, and we talked about future plans and old cars. It was a great end to a wonderful experience. I have met so many nice people, got to see behind the scenes in Motorsport both at BMW and at races; met many race car drivers as well. I have accomplished a lot more in this Prakiktum than I expected doing all the "Top Secret" stuff you read about in car magazines.

It felt like yesterday where I was just started and was absolutely in shock and awe of all the Prototype vehicles (signiture black/white swirls on a car). But it became an every day part of life. I had a hand in preparing and driving many vehicles that wouldn't reach consumers for months or longer. It was a real treat. I now have an understanding of the inner workings of such a large company, but also have a lot to think about in terms of career paths, choices, and possibilities. I am a firm believer that I would not have found an internship that would have made me any happier. It has definitely been a life experience of which (hopefully) will make me a better, culturally aware, aspiring global engineer. Once I get back, I have a difficult transition reintegrating into American life. Among contending with reverse culture shock, and due to sad events in life, I need to find a new residence and move all within 5 days before the semester start. I might have to sell my beloved car as I barely made ends meet in this summer abroad (though the experience was more than worth it). Many new challenges lay ahead, but I survived a year in Germany, this should be cake, right?

Fewer updates to come, so I thank those for following my life over the past year, and hope it has been somewhat entertaining for you. A lot has happened in a year, but I wish I could have done more. Who knows what the future holds, maybe I'll be able to come back somehow.

 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment