About Me

My photo
München, Bayern, Germany
I love all things motorsports and racing. I have an unhealthy addiction to modifying anything mechanical. Brakes and Suspension are my forte and I love driving fast in slow cars. I am in love with math, physics and knowing how things work. But if there's anything I've learned since being here, it's that experiencing a multitude of other cultures, traveling, and seeing tangible history will enrich ones life in ways no book can offer.

Saturday 14 May 2011

Another week, time is speeding up

This week at BMW was particularly busy. There are a couple of cars that had to be prepared for my co-workers to test. I have been given tasks to carry out independently and have been fairly successful in finding my way around, and conversing with people I don't know to get the job done. I took a visit to the wind tunnel this week which was extremely interesting. It's nice to hear everything that is taken into consideration when testing. It isn't just air flowing over a car, but it depends on tire motion and "street movement" under as well. There are a lot of sophisticated systems in place to accurately measure real world type scenarios.

 I am starting to re-review the suspension theory that I've been learning. It's one thing to understand the words in what they mean, but another to understand the point that they are trying to convey; what is this text actually describing? I took a moment to finally realize that after a while, my mind just goes to autopilot, and i read and understand, but not comprehend. More to work on.

I am under the realization that my vocabulary has started to suffer. Where technical vocab is used quite frequently, I have a hard time remembering some basic verbs, proper conjugation (on the spot when nervous) and prepositions still pose an issue. I've starting printing off Vocab lists and trying to dig through old exercises on Sakai to refresh my memory.

I was going to try to go to Braunschweig this weekend to retrieve some of my belongings I have left with friends, but I got out of work too late. Instead I will spend the weekend in, recuperate, and try to research some Graduate Programs abroad. I have spoken with several people and they explained that the Bachelor/Masters system is still too new in Germany. Industry doesn't quite know how to react to these new degrees so it is still ideal for applicants to have a Diplom/Masters; whereas in the states, one can get a good job with just a bachelors (or even just relevant work experience). I am interested in the IEP's Dual Masters track, but for me it's an issue of affordability. I can barely afford to do my Bachelors, and I max out loans and even wasted 3 hours a day for 3 years, commuting by bus to save money. The prospect of 3-4 semesters abroad at only 500Euros per semester is quite appealing. Cost of living isn't that much different from living in the states, I just have to see what financial aid opportunities I might be eligible for before deciding. It's getting difficult but it's better to prepare for something I may or may not do, than to be unprepared for when the time comes. I will have to consult some professors and other contacts for any tips and advice.

anyways..... next week my uncle from Canada is in Germany on business, I might be able to meet up with him and see how things are going. My Cousin is getting married early June, and I'm quite sad that I cannot afford to fly out and attend. I wish them well though, time is passing ever so quickly.

I am already a third finished with my time at my Praktikum. I feel like I've done a lot, but i also feel like I haven't done enough. I dread the day I will have to pack up and head back to the states to tackle the hardest semester i've had yet. I'm maxed out on course load, still living off campus, and there is a possibility I will not be able to graduate on time because of one required elective (ELE220 - Active Passive Circuits) that is only offered once a year, and it usually conflicts with every core engineering class I've had to take. I get stressed just thinking about it. I do look forward to seeing my girlfriend, my friends and my car. I welcome the life's conveniences I took for granted before leaving; I will definitely miss Germany, but if all goes well, I'll be back.

It's a rainy weekend this week, but today, the clouds have parted and the sun is shining brilliantly. I need to get some things done before the afternoon showers roll in. Then researching what it takes to get into Grad Programs abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment